Friday, October 23, 2009

End of another week..and hopefully, the end of my mid-semester slump. Somewhere in the middle of each term, I get a 2-3 week long streak of not caring about class and decide that my time would be better spent sleeping, day-tripping, shopping, nose picking...pretty much anything other than schoolwork (take the number of blogs I wrote last week as evidence). Thankfully, this time around I did manage to stay on top of my classes and kept my grades in the 'A' range.
I think right now I have something like 7 weeks left. Maybe eight. Maybe I could consult a calender instead of guessing, especially since I have one on my computer. Ok. 7-1/2 weeks to go.

So now that I am done hating on school and am back in the game, I'm starting to look way way ahead on the road. I have two years left here in glam town before I get my RN. After that, I was seriously considering going away to WA to finish out my bachs degree...but...suddenly I feel the pull of going to all out Med School. It would be sssooo much longer in school but it could be so worth it in the end. Part of my motivation comes from my Mom and her older sister. They are both so smart and are such strong women. I won't even begin to pretend to have the number brain cells that they do cuz I've microwaved my food for way to many years and by doing so have passed second-hand radiation to my brain, but still, I want to be like them.
Here's my conondrum: I really really want to be able to cut on people and diagnose them myself, BUT I also want to be out working on people sooner that 230 years from now, which is the usual time table for med school. That, and my counterfeiting press still has some bugs to be worked out before I can start printing my own money (hey, I learned everything I know from the government). Yikes...doctor school is like 432k to attend. That's an approximate number and does not include textbooks, uniforms, housing, tuition, or a cafeteria plan. It does however, get you a sweet hoodie with the university logo on the back and a matching pen and a license plate frame. Maybe if I buy all of those things off Ebay, I could just open a private practice and everyone would believe I really was a doctor because obviously, my car would be parked outside with a legitimate plate frame, my front desk would have a legitimate pen on it, and I would have a legitimate sweater hanging in my office.
Next concern: I want to travel before I'm 90. I want to get out into the field now and work on hurting people. No, I don't mean I want to practice hurting people...i want to practice the art of healing on hurting people. *This is why not just any random person should be allowed to write words for others to read. Others can be mislead by poorly crafted sentences and they might think that I want to run off to another country, drive on the wrong side of the road, and have head-on collisions with indigenous personnel, thereby "working on hurting people". * Back to what I was saying, if I go to med school, it is going to be a long, long time before I even have the opportunity to drive on the wrong side of the road (not that I would. I'm just saying it might be nice to at least have the opportunity to choose not to). No joke, seven more years. And a few minutes ago I thought seven more weeks sounded horrible. That doesn't even include residency or internship.
Basically, I'd be 35 when it was all said and done. Ten years is a long, long time. I know...I know...you're probably thinking that in ten years I'll be ten years older anyway so why not spend the ten years doing what I want to do instead of not doing it just because I'll be ten years older by the time it's done, right? That's a good point that you make. I don't really have an answer except that spending ten more years inflicting compressed discs on myself from packing thirty books around seems kinda horrible and bottomless right now. That's like two more anatomy classes, 5 more math, 5 or 6 more chemistry, and worst of all, a lot more humanities, with all the touchy feely crap that goes with. Don't get me wrong. Obviously, I love to write. But seriously, how many more stupid portfolios can a girl possible write? I think I've done like 50 already.

No comments:

Post a Comment