Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day Tripper

We've all heard it said that life is what we make of it. More frequently though, it seems that life becomes what we don't make of it. We can miss out on a lot of cool stuff if we aren't careful. I realized that this was happening in my life and had an epiphany about needing to ditch my school books and get some fresh air. Accordingly I got all wild and crazy yesterday and went on an unplanned day trip with my cousin Bri.

We started out saying "Hey, let's go to town and get something to eat.Then we couldn't decide where in Farmington we wanted to eat, so we started driving. This took us to Durango, where we still couldn't decide where to eat. Continued driving. Wound up in Silverton, where we walked around the two blocks of town for 3o minutes trying to decide where to eat. The town is pretty much ready to close down for winter and store owners were in the process of boarding up their shops. This gave it an overall weird creepy deserted mountain village feeling...I thought vampires were going to start sledding down the surrounding mountains to eat us all for lunch. At any rate, we were the only non-locals around and all of the locals were giving us the required snotty "you aren't from here" local gaze. They knew we didn't belong, and they'd probably sacrifice us to the bears if we dared stay after sunset. Which made me think that vampires might be a nicer alternative.

In the meantime, we still hadn't eaten. We finally found the one restaurant still open, a "Brown Bear Cafe." We walked in, uncertain of the seating etiquette, which made us stand out even more than we already did. The waitress stood there washing down the one dirty table for five minutes before she looked at us. Because, obviously, there were only 25 empty tables, which isn't nearly enough for two girls to sit at (do we really look like we might order that much food? Yikes). She finally condescended to acknowledge our existence and asked "Did you want a table?" To which I wanted to say "No, no...I want to stand out front and eat spagghetti out of my hand. That way the vampires don't have to spend so long looking for me."

We were finally seated, and 20 minutes later, another waitress asked "do you girls want something to drink?" Again....I wanted to say "No...no...I brought my own snow to melt." Gosh. It was like "torture the outsiders before we sacrifice them" day. We would have left but hunger prevailed. I was like 5 seconds from becoming anorexic. These locals were WEIRD. Two other groups came in while we were sitting there and they were obviously down-with-the-people, nature-loving locals that swim under frozen lakes in their birthday suits and catch fish with their bare hands, then eat raw while still underwater...all winter long. The whole outdoors thing isn't what makes them weird. All Coloradans are like that....they were weird because none of them talked. They sat there eating in silence, giving us weird stares all the while.

Our food finally came and I swear, the waitress stalked us like we were going to run out on our check. Why would we do that? She'd sick the vampires on our car as it wound its way back up the pass if we even tried to. If you've been to Silverton, you totally know what I mean. There would be NO escape. Anyway, we left her a generous freakin tip just to prove that we were nice people, even though we were talking trash as soon as we walked out of the joint. I don't get why waitresses do that. Why in the world would someone pick a desolate town, where they are outnumbered like 500 to one, leave their car at the other end of main street, choose a place where they are practically the only table, and then try to walk out on a check? Please.

After that, we went into a little tourist trap shop, where I bought an awesome necklace and earrings set that I've had my eye on forever. Again, although we were perfectly sociable and polite and spent money on their junk in what has to be a slow month for them business-wise, the two old clerks looked at us really strangely. Like they knew something we didn't. I'm telling you, it was downright creepy weird. Picturesque little town...whatever. More like "we trapped two of them....quick, deflate their tires!"

We hauled back to Durango. The locals might be greasy unshaved pot smoking hippies, but they are nice, and the coffee baristas don't look at you like you have '666' tattooed on your forehead. Gosh. I know what it is...Silverton doesn't have a single freaking coffee shop, at least none that I saw. Durango has like 50. Coffee makes people happy, and happy people just don't go around sicking vampires on non-locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment