Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wake up call in a bad dream?

I had a dream that my mom died. And I couldn't help her or save her. She was laying there on the sidewalk and as I ran up to her and fell on the ground next to her I tried feeling for a pulse but I already knew she was dead and there was nothing I could do. I felt so powerless and weak and useless. Is that what it will feel like when I become a nurse and one of my patients dies? I can't get the picture of her out of my head. The last time we talked, I said some things that really hurt her. In my dream, she walked out of the house and it was all windy outside and we heard a tree branch fall and I knew what had happened. I ran outside and saw her laying there motionless with a big branch on her neck and I knew she was gone. I grabbed the branch and flung it away and screamed for someone to call 911 but myself... I froze up. Couldn't do anything except touch her face, sob, and ask her "please...please don't go. Mom please come back. Please... you can't be dead. God please don't take my mom away yet". I was sitting there hunched over next to her on the ground and she didn't come back.

So why do we have dreams like this?? Are they cruel jokes played on us by our own minds? The manifestation of our worst fears?
Or do they serve as bittersweet reality checks, telling us "hey...think twice about your words when you utter them, because you never know what tomorrow may bring"?

No comments:

Post a Comment